Sundays at 8am and 11:15am, Wednesdays 11:30-1pm Silent Prayer
The first Anglican congregation in Woodstock met in a little log church located approximately one hundred yards from where Emmanuel Church stands today. The congregation was probably formed about 1770, and the first (log) church was built about 1774. John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg, ordained by both the Lutheran and Anglican churches, was the first priest. He began serving the congregation in 1772 and immediately became as involved in political matters as he was in the religious concerns of his parishioners. At the end of his last service in January, 1775, Muhlenberg is reported to have set aside his clerical robes, revealing his uniform as a colonel of militia, marched from the church, and recruited a local regiment which he commanded throughout the Revolutionary War. Emmanuel Church still owns Peter Muhlenberg’s Bible and Prayer Book.
Without a priest, both the Anglican congregation and its little church building in Woodstock deteriorated. It was not until 1880 that the congregation again became active, holding services in the old Court House on Main Street. By 1882 the vestry had built a new, this time brick, Emmanuel Episcopal Church. This building burned in 1890, leaving only the walls and the bell tower standing. A frame building was then constructed within these walls and it continues to be the place of worship for the community.
Emmanuel Church, Woodstock
122 East Court Street
Woodstock, VA 22664
The parish secretary, Mary Gibson, is in the Emmanuel office on Mondays and Wednesday from 8-1. Her e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK HERE for Emmanuel's Organist/Choir Director